A large 1667 bronze mortar by Thomas Sturton II (1629-1682), South Petherton, Somerset, decorated beneath the rim with a band of crosses or fleur-de-lis above the cast initials RP and the date 1667, on a spreading, corded base with recessed footrim. 'T' shaped founder's symbol, diameter 27cm, height 21cm.
An example with similar numerals attributed to Thomas Sturton II is in the Museum of Somerset (TTNCM : 187/2004/94).
Ask a specialist
Senior Valuer & Collectables Specialist